Monthly Archives: June 2015

Interior doors arrive, adding cherry trim to main floor and more….

29Jun15 – We’re working on so many different areas at the same time!  I’m helping Steve whenever I can and I’m still making regular trips down to the Artesian pond for water for all our flora!

I’m also in the process of designing my new business website with  Black Mountain’s Kudzu Branding , and working on a land deal.  Ay caramba!  So I’m going to let the photos speak for themselves today!

In my Home Office (!!!!), lots of clamps, and door jambs

17Jun15 – I have to share that I am finally in my home office in the lower level of the main house!!  Oh my, this is such a treat.  My own space where I can concentrate and be in a clean environment.  You just don’t even know….

We put on another layer of veneer early this morning – too hot during the day with this heat wave.  I’m impressed by the number of clamps it takes to take straight pieces of lumber and make them want to curve into our demi-lune deck’s top railing.

Meanwhile, Steve is making the door jambs for the first floor doors that are on their way.  Normally a pretty easy project, but each jamb has to line up perfectly in height so the horizontal maple banding is level all around each room and hall way on the main level.  No small task.  His laser level is being put to good use!

Still watering plants, deck railing, main floor window trim…..

15Jun15 – Not much to report this week.  We’re still watering plants religiously.  We’re going through a heat wave of 93 degrees that next few days, so we’ll be making trips to the artesian pond more frequently.

Steve has started to attached the veneer strips to his elaborate  railing top “form” on the demi-lune portion of the main deck.  I’ve never seen so many clamps at one time!  We have three 1/2″ layers of strips up – we’ll be finished at 11…. It’s a slow process.

We decided to lightly stain our cherry trim for more depth to the cherry.  After playing with loads of formulas (of course, plain cherry stain wasn’t working – too orange) we came up with 50%/50% Cherry wiping stain/Red Mahogany wiping stain diluted in 8 parts mineral spirits.  It works!  All the cherry window stools on the main level are in! (we learned that’s the correct term for the ‘sills’ on the inside.  Window sills are on the exterior.  Still sounds funny to me.)   It’s such a nice contrast to the maple trim around the windows.  Little by little, the inside is starting to look like the Maple Forest Cottage pictures I’ve seen for so many years.

Main floor trim and more watering of the plants!

08Jun15 – We’ve been spending a lot of time tending to our new landscaping.  That means up to 5 trips a day down to the watering hole to get 210 gal. each time to then return to our yard and pump it out and quench the thirst of all our trees & plantings.  It finally started to rain last week and it was such a blessing to be able to skip a day watering here and there.  All plants are thriving except one lilac.  Her sister right next to her is fine but she just isn’t making it for some reason.

Steve has started the main floor trim.  Whoa!  Now this is a major project.  The detail is so beautiful, but executing it will take some real skill and patience.  It’s bound to go slowly, so I need to focus on what I can do to move this project (ie getting our C.O.) along.

I prepped the lower level travertine floor yesterday & today, readying it for sealing.  Then, yes then, I get to move my real estate office from the back of the garage to my office space in the main house.  This is big.  I’ve been wanting to do this for months and now it’s here!  I’m delighted.